Fondant/Sugarpaste, Modeling Paste (These recipes are not mine I am sharing of what I have found)
I think of fondant like it is a bit like play dough but of cause it is edible. As well as using fondant to model with for your decorations you can cover your cake with rolled fondant to give it a smooth, professional look and is very fun, easy to work with and can do many things you just have to have practice. I don't think it taste the best as it is very sweet and can only have a very small amount of it but what it can makes your cakes look like is fantastic and there is a wide range of ideas for using fondant for different themes, colours, shapes and decorations. It can be bought in supermarkets or a cake supply shops and can be pre-coloured or you can colour it yourself ( I use Wilton's Gel Colours)
Also by adding 1 ingredient to your fondant, you can make modeling paste which I will try and is better for modeling and more efficient as it easier to work with, dries harder and keeps its shape. This can also be purchased in stores or you can choose to make it yourself. These recipes won't include your usual ingredients in your cupboard, so you may need to add them to your shopping list if you choose to make this recipe
- 1 egg white
- 30ml ( 2 tbsp) liquid glucose
- 625g (1 1/4 lb/5 cups) icing (confectioner's) sugar
- A little white vegetable fat (shortening) if required
- Put the egg white and liquid glucose into a bowl, using a warm spoon for the liquid glucose.
- Sift the icing (confectioner's) sugar into the bowl, adding a little at a time and stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Turn out onto a work surface dusted with icing sugar and knead the paste until it is soft, smooth and pliable. If the paste is dry and cracked, fold in a little vegetable fat (shortening) and knead again.
- Put into a polythene bag, or double wrap the paste in cling film (plastic wrap), and store in an airtight container.
- 10ml (2tsp) gum tragacanth
- 500g (1 lb) rolled fondant (sugarpaste)
- Put the gum tragacanth on a work surface and knead it into the fondant.
- Double wrap the modeling paste in polythene or cling film (plastic wrap) and store in an airtight container for at least an hour before use.
Please feel free to write a comment or email me, for more information go to Contact Me
I've never tried to make my own fondant JJReplyDelete
You make it look so easy and delicous :-)
I think I'll give it a go now